Saturday, March 14, 2009

Eating Down the Fridge Challenge: Day 6 (Friday)

Delicious french toast

After a few beers, I am highly suggestible. Friday was yet another work happy hour for a departing colleague. As it had been a dreary day and it was still my birthday week, I had several beers then happy strolled through Dupont to catch the bus home. While I was waiting for the bus, I cracked open Orangette's book -- A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg -- and read the chapter about her father's french toast. This immediately made me want french toast. Her dad's trick was to use cook the bread in oil rather than butter. CCO was skeptical of this idea (or perhaps skeptical of semi-sober Leah and hot oil?), but it turned out pretty well. The oil sears in the flavor and makes the toast crispier than butter. Super delicious. See her recipe for details, but a good mix is 1 egg for every 2 pieces of bread. So we used 2 eggs for our 4 pieces of toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment