Sunday, February 15, 2009

Creole Icing

I found this cookbook stuck inside a box in a store room at my parent's house. This is the revised and expanded 1934 Hershey's cookbook, printed in 1971. I needed a good chocolate frosting recipe for a cake, so I pulled it out.

Difficulty: Easy
Eat Rating: Awesome. The coffee flavor is more intense than the chocolate, but it gives it a nice mellowness.

1 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup black coffee
3 tbsp Hershey's cocoa
pinch cinnamon
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar

Combine butter, coffee, cocoa and cinnamon and beat until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until desired consistency.

Makes 1 3/4 cups icing.

I wanted a thinner frosting, so I only added 2 cups of the powdered sugar.


Because it was thinner, I just had to push it over the edges of the cake to frost the sides. It firmed up a little bit in the fridge later one. Here's the finished result:

1 comment:

  1. That is the most beautiful cake I've ever seen. Color me jealous.

    ReplyDelete