Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pumpkin-Praline Muffins

I like muffins because if I'm running late, I can always throw one into my purse to eat on the way in to work. Also because they make great characters in online, animated films. Like my "Cakes to Try" list, I recently started a "Muffin List" in the little black recipes book I carry around with me. This one I found in Better Homes and Gardens. The cholesterol and saturated fat content were a little high, I thought, so I subbed in Smart Balance butter, egg beaters and whole-wheat flour.

Difficulty: Easy (but uses a lot of bowls)
Eat Rating: Either because I used whole wheat flour or because I accidentally omitted the baking soda, the muffins are a little bit dense. Not bad, just thicker than you'd expect for a muffin. The praline topping though is pretty awesome.

Better Homes and Garden, New Baking Book 1998

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp sour cream (LN: I subbed lowfat yogurt)
2/3 cup chopped pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour (LN: I used whole-wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted (LN: I used Smart Balance butter)

Line muffin-tin with cups or grease. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup brown sugar, sour cream (or yogurt) and pecans. Set aside.

In medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and cloves. In a separate bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, pumpkin, 2/3 cup brown sugar and melted butter. Add to dry mixture and stir until just moistened.

Spoon batter into muffin cups. Spoon about 2 tsp of pecan mixture on top of each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Best served slightly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment